Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bonus Post: 5 Pointz



Even though I could not go with the group the day of the field trip I did appreciate good art at 5 Pointz when I went there over the weekend with some friends. I think 5 Pointz is a place where distinctive art can be found. Every single piece shows a personalized or plural touch with a deep message.I did not see that many political art at 5 Pointz, actually I just saw a few pieces with some faces like el Che Guevara and it looks like in this piece that I saw the artist linked this small face with the distorted word of liberty.And I say distorted because when you read, it looks like a hand is covering it.It was really interesting, because now that I think about it; I have seen drawings and graffiti like this at the entrance some subway stations, at some neighborhood walls and at the back of schools in Roosevelt Avenue, Jackson Heights and Junction Boulvevard. Some graffiti looked really extreme because the images were crude and sometimes obscene but there lies a hidden message someone told me once. I think the hidden message in this particular graffiti that I observed, was the oppression that people suffer when they can not express themselves freely. Going to 5Pointz was a particular experience that showed to me that art can be also found around the corner and not only in a gallery.
The name 5Pointz signifies the five boroughs coming together as one but, because of its reputation as an epicenter of the graffiti scene, the industrial complex has actually united aerosol artists from across the world.

1 comment:

Prof. T. said...

Great reflections - I love the idea of making art in this industrial space so close to all these tracks, bridges, and so many roads & highways coming together - a different kind of beauty also, just as we were discussing in class with regards to Walker's essay.